Monday, July 7, 2014

Letter to Future Me



Tuck this idea away for the start (and end) of the school year....

 I was inspired to do this project by a teacher at my high school who had her students write letters to themselves in her classroom. Her promise was mail the letters back to each student several years down the road. Imagine the surprise when my friends opened up the letters they had written in high school to themselves! I wanted to create the same type of nostalgic experience for my students... with a slightly shorter time period. 

On one of the first few days of school, I have my brand new 5th graders write letters to their "future selfs". After discussing goals for the school year, I have students write a letter to themselves for the last week of school. Then, once my students leave my doors for the last time (and I've dried my tears), I send their letters to them in the mail. Of course, I always take a peak once more at their writing and admire how much they have grown over the past school year. I'll admit, it's a neat experience for me as a teacher. 

This year, I had several students remind ME about my promise to send the letters in late May. They were not going to let me forget that I had made them a promise on the first day of school!

Calling Mr. Postman!

4 comments:

  1. What a neat idea! I will have to try this next year :)
    Erin
    Learning to be awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should!! It's been a great experience for my kids!

      Delete
  2. Love this idea. It's always neat to reflect. I don't know what kind of technology you have, but have you seen http://www.futureme.org/? Another great way for students to write to themselves in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing! Checking it out now!

      Delete

Add This

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...