Friday, June 7, 2013

Head in the Clouds - Summer School

Week one of summer school came and went quickly! 

Our fourth day of summer school was all about the clouds! We started with Tomie de Paola's "The Cloud Book". A very cute and informative book about the clouds. It tosses in a few idioms, popular phrases, and original theories about what the clouds meant. It held the attention of my students all day long. Plus, it provided a few giggles. 


After we figured out the three main types of clouds (cirrus, stratus, cumulus), we ventured outside with a diagram and sidewalk chalk. I gave each pair of students the task of drawing the three main types of clouds on the sidewalk and labeling each one. I was very impressed by their artistic and creative drawings! Of course, I had to get in on the sidewalk chalk action too. 
It's the Key to a Happy Life!

Well, what do you see?

Cumulonimbus Clouds

Low Stratus Clouds Over a City :)
It was time well spent outdoors in the sunshine. Plus, I hope that each of my students walked away knowing the three main types of clouds. :)

1 comment:

  1. And... I have added another book to my Amazon wishlist. This is a pretty rockin' summer school class. Lucky kids!! Great idea to go outside and draw the clouds. :)

    Amanda
    The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete

Add This

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...