Thursday, October 18, 2012

What I'm Reading... Thursday

Earlier this year, my book club picked Bill O'Reilly's thriller, "Killing Lincoln" as our monthly book. We were all captivated by the novel! Not only was it historical but riveting at the same time. On October 2, O'Reilly released his lastest historical thriller, "Killing Kennedy" about out beloved former President John F. Kennedy. I'm roughly 50 pages in and I'm HOOKED. I glued my buns to my couch to watch the entire mini series on the Kennedy's... now I can't peel my eyes from this one. Prior to Lincoln's book, I was never a fan of historical literature. I'm a changed woman! Hand 'em over... I want to read about the past!


I highly recommend this one. If you're wondering, yes it talks about everything: Jackie, Marilyn, Cuba, Civil Rights... and on and on. 

In my classroom, we are reading another incredible story. The book is "Out of My Mind" by Sharon Draper. It happens to be a Mark Twain Nominee this year (for you Missouri teachers!) as well. It's about an 11-year old girl with cerebral palsy. The story of Melody is fictional, but as the author says on her website, she represents so many individuals with intelligent brains and uncooperative bodies. While reading yesterday, I could feel the tears forming in my eyes while reading about Melody's obstacles. It's an incredibly phenomenal story. I HIGHLY recommend this as a read aloud. I have had five kids check it out at the library and finish it on their own because they couldn't wait! 

Check out "Out of My Mind" on Sharon Draper's website here

Off I go to tackle my mountain of laundry and feed my growling stomach. It's almost Friday, folks!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book suggestions! I can't possibly read adult books during the school year, but I've added Killing Lincoln/Kennedy to my list of Summer Reading! :) I also just ordered Out of My Mind to read to my class!

    Thanks again!

    Leslie
    Miss R's Room

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOO I LOVE your picture at the top of your blog! Fabulous - I am your newest follower and look forward to following along with your stories!

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jordon--I'm going to check this book out--thanks for the recommendation! I'm a bit of a Kennedy freak (Irish, grew up in Boston, it's hard not to be), and I highly recommend the audiobook that Caroline Kennedy released last fall. They are all interviews with Jackie after the assassination. It's amazing to hear her speak about her life, JFK, etc. I didn't really get into Historical Fiction until moving to 5th and having to do a book club unit in Reading Workshop. Now I'm hooked. Chains is one of my favorites, b/c we also study the Revolution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Lincoln and Kennedy recommendations. Adding them to my list. I love Out of my Mind! Such a great book to read aloud to students.

    ReplyDelete

Add This

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...