Saturday, July 7, 2012

What's For Dinner? Lettuce Wraps!

From most of my food blogging you can probably tell that I a major sweet tooth. I usually don't branch out very much in the dinner department, but I've been searching for more healthy alternatives to my favorites. One of my favorite genres of food is Mexican. Yummmmm! Nothing makes my heart smile more than a big 'ol batch of white queso and tortilla chips. Combine a yummy taco slopped with sour cream and I'm in heaven.

As a little alternative to the traditional taco, we swapped out the tortilla shell for lettuce. Wild huh? I'm sure you have tasted something similar in your eating days!

I modified this recipe a smidgen to suit our needs. Plus, I forgot a few ingredients at the store. One of these days, I'll become an expert at grocery shopping.

Chicken & Pepper Lettuce Wraps (for two!)
2 chicken breasts 
2 Cups Zesty Italian Dressing
1 tbsp Cumin
2 bell peppers sliced (I picked a yellow and red one!)
Shredded cheddar cheese
Head of lettuce





Fun fact: Until recently, I had no idea that cumin actually made things spicy. I found out the hard way.

Mix one cup of the Italian Dressing and the cumin in a bowl with your chicken that has been cut into strips. Stick it in the fridge for 30 minutes or so to marinate.

Add remaining dressing to skillet and toss in chopped peppers. Cook until they are a little crispy. Set aside to let them cool.

In the same skillet (with dressing) toss in your chicken until it's cooked through. It will probably take about 10 minutes. Add your veggies for about 2 minutes and stir.

Spoon your chicken and peppers into your lettuce wraps and top with cheese. Add some salsa if you're feeling fancy!

Awkward arm

Yuuum

Delicious and colorful!
Seriously, these were ah-maz-ing. I think I said "WOW! These are really good" several times during our meal. I think I set the bar pretty low in my mind, so I was very suprised how much I enjoyed them. Once upon a time, I was a very picky eater (my sister can testify to that) and I would have never tried something like this. I guess this means I'm growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add This

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...