Monday, July 2, 2012

Fruit Salsa & Pita Chips

This past weekend a few friends and I celebrated the 4th of July a little early. Needless to say, I took this opportunity to experiment on a few patriotic treats. Today, I'll show you how I made a fruit salsa and homemade pita chips. 

Originally, this fruit salsa recipe wasn't supposed to be red, white, and blue but it just kind of happened. I bought way too many blueberries (and understatement of the amount of blueberries in my fridge) and couldn't find any kiwi. Oh well! The salsa was delicious. 

Fruit Salsa:
(Depending on how much salsa you want depends on how much fruit you put in - go wild!)
2-4 apples (chopped)
Strawberries (chopped)
Raspberries
Blueberries
2 tsp Fruit Preserve (if you add more fruit, add more preserve and sugar)
2 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp brown sugar

Combine all of the ingredients and pop it in the fridge for 30 minutes or so. The longer the better if you ask me!

Pita Chips
Tortillas (10 or so - again, depends on how many you wish to make!)
Vegetable oil
Sugar
Honey

Using a pizza cutter, create small chips from the flour tortillas. Pour vegetable oil in a skillet and let the oil warm for a few minutes. Toss a few tortilla slices into the skillet and let them crisp for a few minutes. After awhile, your oil becomes quite warm and it takes about one minute per chip. Be careful! A few of my chips wound up outside because I got distracted.

Place your cooked chips on a plate and drizzle with sugar and honey. Use them to dip into your fruit salsa and ENJOY!





What patriotic recipes are you testing out this year?


9 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy!

    Emily
    I Love My Classroom
    www.ilovemyclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word.....that looks so yummy!!!! Thanks for linking up:)) Would totally love it if you would grab my button and hope you can come back next week:)))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!! I couldn't figure out how to snag the button. I'll add it ASAP! :)

      Delete
  3. MMMMMMMM Jordon that looks so yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say “thank you” for continuing to inspire me not only as a teacher, but also as a blogger. You’ve been nominated for The Versatile Blogger and The One Lovely Blog Award. Head over to my blog to pick them up!

    Thanks,
    Amy
    Turtley Loving Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Thank you soo much for your sweet comment and nominating me for bloggy awards. I love how my blog has opened the doors to collaboration and meeting fellow teachers!

      Delete
  5. WOW! The pita chips look awesome! I am going to try making them.

    Sarah
    Teaching Star Students

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't mind I pinned your post :)

      Delete
    2. Pin away!! I love being a part of the wonder that is Pinterest! :)

      Delete

Add This

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...