Saturday, July 2, 2011

Anti-Diet Post

My new found "free time" has given me the opportunity to be creative in the kitchen. Lately, I've been trying out new recipes and forcing unsuspecting people to try them. Now, it's your turn!

First, we can all thank my good friend Abby for this yummy dish.

a true celebration in Scottsdale! 
Last summer, when I visited Abby in Dallas she made me the most delicious "Welcome to Texas" treat and of course I begged her for the recipe. 


Introducing: Mississippi Caviar!


1 (15 oz) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can black beans drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
2 lg tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 med onion, diced
1 medium green bell epper, diced
3 tablespoons minced garlic (about 8 cloves)
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chooped
1-2 tbs fresh lime juice (1 1/2 limes)
1 tsp italian seasoning (i left this out and never even noticed)
1 package dry italian dressing mix
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
1/2 c vinegar

Combine first 11 ingredients (peas through seasoning) in a large bowl & stir well. Then, combine dressing mix, oil, and vinegar. Pour over pea mixture. Stir well. Chill at least 2 hours. Serve with tortilla chips. Makes 8 delicious cups!





As usual, I couldn't find a few of the ingredients at the store...so my "caviar" wasn't perfect, but it was quite delicious! 



Next up, we have Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake from Crepes of Wrath. This cake was delicious, but full of s-u-g-a-r. Next time, I think I will do some splenda substituting. 


My Grandma Grace has always been known for making the most delicious bundt cakes. So, I have always had a special love for the cake. I decided to continue with the family tradition and make bundt cake. I started mixing the ingredients and quickly realized that I did not have a bundt cake pan. I have an angel food cake pan but no bundt cake pan. Ah! The agony! I quickly tracked one down from Jolyn and got back to business. 
The cake was definitely a success. I highly recommend it, because it was pretty easy (once I had a pan of course!)

Lastly, with a little inspiration from my friend Layla I decided to mimic their donut making adventure! Faux Made Donuts


Using four simple ingredients, I whipped up some pretty tasty donuts! I might be able to give the famous Papa Jakes a run for their money. Okay, okay... I'm lying. My donuts will never top Papa Jakes! If you're not sure what "Papa Jakes" is or what I'm talking about, you should probably drop everything and be in Sedalia, Missouri at 4:30 AM to get some donut holes. If you're there any later... they'll be sold out!


For my donuts, I rolled them in splenda and cinnamon. The result was yummy!
Not too shabby for me!




That's all for now. Perhaps I should look into some healthier recipes? Nahhh, you only live once! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add This

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...