Sunday, July 24, 2011

Back to School to Prove to Dad I'm Not a Fool

I think it's safe to say that I will always look forward to setting up my classroom. Especially this year since I'll be in a new grade level. I have to tweak my 2nd grade ideas to appeal to 5th graders. When I photographed my classroom back in June, it was looking quite bare:

imagine the possibilities!
I began searching for ways to add some spice and color to my classroom (without breaking the bank). While googling images of classrooms I found several that had pennants and banners hanging on the walls and ceilings. Then, came the Pinterest search. I found several uses for bunting or pennants as we humans call them.





As you know, I cannot sew. Making bunting for my classroom without sewing seemed like an impossible task. Until I found Babbling Abby's blog. She provides and excellent tutorial on creating a no-sew banner. She uses stitch witchery, ribbon, fabric, and an iron. All supplies I could manage!

Lucky for me she has two blogs (for home and school) and provides two different tutorials. Click here to check out her 1st grade blog (it's awesome opossum).

Babbling Abby
Using Abby's how-to and tips, I began creating my own banner! 

In my classroom, I like to stick to primary colors. It leaves room for a lot of options and creativity. I began cutting my triangles and ironing away. There's nothing I love more than a project where I don't have to measure anything.




I know what you're thinking. That yellow triangle is backwards. Yes, I realize this. You can blame The Real Housewives of New York and their marathon today. Clearly, I got distracted. Oh well! I will go out on a limb and say that not one of my students will even notice. 

Success!
Now my naked classroom will have a little color on the walls.

I got a little banner crazy... I also made one for my spare room/office. It's my tribute to Mizzou!
MIZZOU-RAH

Now, it's time for me to lay on the couch and continue my binge of the Real Housewives. Happy Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. I'm making one of those for my classroom, too! I have a wall of HUGE windows with ugly white blinds. It'll be impossible (well, by my standards) to make curtains so I figured I'd make a banner to stretch from one end to the other to "jazz" up the space. My mom and I were discussing fabric today. :) You did an awesome job! Can't wait to see your classroom when you're done setting up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds fantastic! I can't wait to see pictures of yours, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out my tutorial for a super cute, even EASIER no-sew banner! I think you would like my blog... we're both crafty gals :)
    http://whimsylaneblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/no-sew-fabric-banner.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops sorry about that defunct link... if you can't copy/paste,just take a look around my "tutorials" category :)

    ReplyDelete

Add This

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...